Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Protector of the Small

Well, there are many advantages in having young daughters. The ones of interest today are that they introduce me to some music and books that I would never find on my own. Yes, I have read the Harry Potters, House of Nights, Twilights, etc. And they are actually very entertaining and fun. Also, my middle daughter loves the latest country music so it is often on in our car. Therefore, today's post is thanks to an incredible book series and a great song.

The book series is called the "Protector of the Small Quartet" by Tamora Pierce. The book follows Kel, a young girl, as she works to become a Page, Squire and Knight in a world where many think girls should not be allowed to do this. Kel has very strong feelings about what is right and fair, and she chooses to act on them rather than stand by and observe. By doing this she accomplishes much, learns continually, collects many friends and gains the title, Protector of the Small. (see links for more details)
Protector of the Small Wiki Link
Tamora Pierce Link

The song is called "Alyssa Lies" by Jason Michael Carroll. This is about a little girl that meets a friend that is being abused. When she tells her father about her friend, he is uncertain about what to do. Then when he decides to get involved to help protect Alyssa, it turns out that the abuse has already resulted in her death.
Alyssa Lies Video Link

With both of these in mind, I started to wonder what our personal role should be in "Protecting the Small". My definition of Small for this purpose is victims in general, be it:
  • abused children and challenged adults
  • elderly people that taken advantage of
  • people deprived of typical human rights
  • others that you can give a human face to
Is it enough if we pay our taxes and give at Church? I mean we are funding the social workers, schools, police, hospitals, firefighters, military, etc. And they are way too expensive as it is... What else can and should be expected from us?

As I was once told... "I mean, we can't save them all !!!"

My personal opinion after looking around at some of our American excess and self centered ways is that we could do something more. The challenge is that it starts with the individual choices of each of us. My goal is to try to raise my personal bar in some way by the end of the year. I invite you to do the same.

Thoughts?

Below are links to some local charities.. And I guarantee you will feel better and more energized after helping them than you would if you stayed home and watched TV...

Mpls Children's Crisis Nursery
Memorial Blood Centers
PRISM
Sharing and Caring Hands
Feed My Starving Children
Meals on Wheels
Bolder Options
Tree House
Big Brothers Big Sisters

7 comments:

R-Five said...

As I read this, we're watching "What Would You Do?" where they do a "candid camera" on us to see if we would protect our fellow man in various situations.

One, a staged bike theft, only 1 in 100 passerby's act, more though, if the actor is black. Sad. True.

It seems inhumane but the non-racial part isn't exactly irrational in our litigious society, doubly so when children are involved.

So should we just call the authorities? Even that can be a tough call given the many reports of prosecutors and social workers overreacting, even falsely accusing the parents without a shred of tangible proof.

In other words, I have no general idea, just have to take it one case at a time.

John said...

I thinking helping people has always been personally inconvenient and carried some risk. The Good Samaritan spent time, money and risked being mugged by the same attackers. Though the risk of lawsuits was probably less back then...

However, what happens to a society of citizens that stops thinking of and helping the Small? Do they begin to view others as objects and obstacles, rather than people?

Or do they try to push all of that responsibility and risk to the government, in order to assuage their conscience? Therefore driving up the cost of government and helping less efficiently. The upside though is that we can pass by and consider that "those others" are failing to help.

I think my point in this post is that even in taking one case at a time, we need to be

- willing to be aware of the situations and needs of humans that surround us

- willing to actively consider if we should take action

- if we feel we should take action, then we need act

We do not need to save everyone we meet, however we should truly consider their needs as humans and make the decision. Often I think many of us choose to stay oblivious or act like those humans are actually objects/obstacles. (ie dehumanize the situation)

These concepts are covered in detail in 2 of my favorite "self awareness" books. "Leadership and Self Deception" and "The Anatomy of Peace" by Arbinger.

Here are some interesting summaries:
JB L&SD summary
David Mays L&SD notes
Carrie Kish AOP summary

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of how charity makes the giver richer, as well as the recipient. I think we tend to spend a lot of time and energy weighing the worthiness of those we help. I believe when we quietly and joyfully and generously help others less fortunate (for whatever reason) we are better for it.

--Annie

John said...

Annie,
Excellent point !!! I know I have been guilty in the past of judging downtown's homeless.

I mean "what kind of a guy would choose that life over working and being a beneficial part of society"....

When in reality many of them truly have a medical/mental health condition that makes fitting in incredibly difficult. Without understanding that and being empathetic. It's pretty easy to yell at them...

Get a job you bum !!

When in reality many wish they could....

Anonymous said...

I've done my share for years. I would do more, except that government INSISTS and DEMANDS that I give them the money I would do it with, and that THEY will care for "the poor" (caring enough to take the credit, too). That's not possible. Governments do not have-- cannot have-- the compassion required to do true charity; robbing from one to give to another is not charity. It robs the giver of treasure and the opportunity to serve, while it robs the receiver of dignity and the opportunity for gratitude. That's theft on both ends of the transaction, with callous inefficiency in the middle.

For too long, we have been told-- ordered, in fact-- to "let George do it" and have thus lost much of the compassion essential to a just society.

J. Ewing

Anonymous said...

Interesting fact: the most altruistic group in our nation are those with the lowest incomes. They find a way to share what little they have. Truest form of charity.

--Annie

Anonymous said...

This blog post popped into my mind today.

An obit in the Strib today celebrated the life of a woman (no one I knew) who was foster parent to 55 babies who went on to be adopted by other families. Her son said she taught him that the secret to life is "giving a little bit more than you're taking".

I thought that was a beautiful phrase. I wish more of us used it as our guide to life.

--Annie